Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Toddler Wisdom

About 6 months ago J and I started trying to introduce Av to faith and God. She loves to sing the song "Jesus loves me." We pray together at meals. I think my favorite time with her is in our bedtime routine when we read from her children's Bible and pray together. This is the time of day that she is (somewhat) still and she wants to snuggle with us, cuddled up with her blanket while she holds my hand. I hold her in an almost cradled position, as if she's a baby again-sometimes she even asks me to sing rock-a-by-baby.

I know that this routine is important, teaching her the importance of regular, hopefully daily, time in prayer and God's word, but I also wonder how much of it does she grasp? How do I explain to a 2 year old that her only hope is in Christ's death and resurrection and that we are dependent on grace that we don't deserve? Recently, I have been able to see a glimpse of what she is taking from these moments.

Last week we read about Jesus washing the disciples' feet. I often wonder what Av is thinking while we're reading. Sometimes she is jumping in the bed, talking to me while I'm trying to read, flipping pages before I read anything on it, or quoting lines from "Monster at the End of This Book" instead of listening to what I'm reading.. Well, last night I discovered I'm not giving her enough credit for how much she is listening. While picking out what we were going to read, she asked "are we going to read Jesus washing feet?" My heart melted.

Another instance happened a couple weeks ago while we were praying. For our prayer routine I turn out the lights, put her in her crib, and she asks to hold my hand. I started out praying and Av finishes prayer time by saying "thank you" or "God bless" for whatever her list is that day. It could include friends, family, rain, the park, the pool, and all the other topics a 2 year old ponders. This particular night she started a usual prayer list and ended with "thank you for 'Jesus loves me.'" What else could I add to that? I had to agree with Av. Yes, Lord, thank you that you love me when I have done nothing to deserve your love and grace.

Ephesians 3:14-21
For this reason I kneel before the Father, from whom his whole family in heaven and on earth derives its name. I pray that out of his glorious riches he may strengthen you with power through his Spirit in your inner being, so that Christ may dwell in your hearts through faith. And I pray that you, being rooted and established in love, have power, together with all the saints, to grasp how wide and long and high and deep is the love of Christ, and to know this love that surpasses knowledge—that you may be filled to the measure of all the fullness of God.
Now to him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to his power that is at work within us, to him be glory in the church and in Christ Jesus throughout all generations, for ever and ever! Amen.

1 comment:

mrchrishill said...

Excellent post... thanks for the encouragement. I too struggle knowing how much she really gets from our times in prayer and from the focus we put on directing our little one to Christ.

Thanks!