Thursday, June 19, 2008

Paper or Plastic?

Recently I bought reusable shopping bags st Wal-Mart, and I have to say that I LOVE them! We do recycle, but I also think it is important to reduce our amount of trash/waste/consumption. These bags are only $1 at Wal-Mart!! Similar bags can be found at Target and grocery stores. I initially bought them to be a more responsible consumer, but they have also made my own shopping experience easier for the following reasons
1. I can fit what would take 4-5 plastic bags into 1 reusable bag.
2. They have long straps so I can carry these bags on my shoulder, like a purse. This allows me to carry all the groceries into the house in one trip while leaving my hands free to open the door or carry coffee or carry Av or get the mail or wave to the neighbors or........
3. We have used them for so much more than just trips to the store. They're very convenient!
4. Did I mention they're only $1!?!

J and I both now keep bags in our vehicles, so they're readily available when needed. My dumb-blonde moments have been remembering to take them into the store. Today I finished shopping and was about to check out when I realized I had left the bags in the car. I left my cart by the checkout (after letting the cashier know what I was up to), ran out to the car, grabbed the bags, and returned to checkout. I do have one caveat. The cashiers, at least in our city, aren't fully familiar with the new bags. I don't see why it is difficult to fill these bags instead of plastic bags, but I have had more than one experience of essentially bagging the groceries on my own. Thankfully, it's not much of a price to pay. All this to say: Go get yourself some reusable bags, you won't regret it!!!

No comments: