Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Where to begin?

Today has been quite a rough day. This morning J's mom called to let us know that one his closest childhood friends, Brian, died yesterday. He was a civilian on his 3rd tour in Iraq and there was an explosion by the vehicle he was in at the time. He was supposed to come home next month. If you live in Bham you might have heard this mentioned on the news. Brian was married with 3 children-I believe they are 12, 9, and 5. I can't express how much my heart aches for this family. I can't begin to understand what his mom, siblings, wife, and children are experiencing. Please, please pray for them. I pray the children would continue to experience a father's love from God. I pray for Becky as she raises 3 children without Brian. There are so many questions of why and how that I know only God has the answer for now. It's hard to comprehend how much pain and suffering there is here on earth. How it makes me long for heaven. These words on suffering have been helpful.

A couple hours later I received a phone call that the company I work for is being dissolved tomorrow! I have only been with them a few months, and knew this was a risk since it's a start-up company, but it was still quite a shock today. I have spent much of the afternoon on the phone, looking into job possibilities. Which job? Where? Are we going to stay in Dothan? Do I look for jobs in Birmingham or elsewhere? I know there many jobs out there, this just isn't the way that I envisioned myself looking for my next job.

At first I thought "keep things in perspective." I could be dealing with far worse than a forced job change. That is true to an extent, but then I thought the answer isn't that the situations are different/easier. The answer is that my God is the same. In all of this God is good. He is always faithful and always sovereign. Only in Him will there be rest for your soul and peace that transcends understanding. He is our strength, stronghold, and a refuge in distress. He is our redeemer and sustainer. He gathers his flock in his arms and carries them close to his heart. This has certainly been a week of highs and lows, but I am thankful God is constant.

Psalm 62;5-8
Find rest, O my soul, in God alone; my hope comes from him. He alone is my rock and my salvation; he is my fortress, I will not be shaken. My salvation and my honor depend on God he is my mighty rock, my refuge. Trust in him at all times, O people; pour out your hearts to him, for God is our refuge.

1 comment:

Wanting What I Have said...

LInds,
Amen to your words. We're praying for you guys. Your faith and trust - to see your heart rest in your Father's Sovereignty and Sameness is so encouraging. We love y'all!