Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Run, Lindsey, Run

I walked into the den the other day to find Av standing in the bay window. I'm guessing she's wondering if she'll always be able to stare straight into our neighbor's house. Thankfully, the fence should be finished this week and the nobody is in the house now while it's being remodeled.
Av's favorite position on the new couch
So I'm learning a lot training for the 1/2 marathon. First, I have to tell you that I'm not a "natural" runner. I didn't even start running regularly until I was 23. Before then I enjoyed exercise, but never thought I could run to workout. I have many friends that on any given day can run 7-10 miles or more....I am not one of those people. My normal run is 3-4 miles. The thought of running a race/long distance was always in the back of my mind, but I really didn't think I could do it. During this process I have been praying that God would provide me the strength and ability to run the 1/2, I knew I would need it. I have been praying Isaiah 40 (those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength, they will run and not grow weary) often while running. My desire is that this experience would glorify God and His provision, not my own abilities (there wouldn't be much to glorify about my own athletic abilities :)). All this to get here...if I have been able to run in a way I never thought possible, and have enjoyed doing it as a bonus, think of all the other areas this extends to in life..areas much more important, more eternal than running. Am I loving my husband and child with what God has provided or am I loving in my own strength (read flesh and sin here). How am I loving my neighbor? How am I spending my time? Are the words I'm speaking my own words, or words that God has given me to share? What other things do I think "I can't do that," that God actually has in store for me to do! The list goes on and on-from the mundane to the exciting moments am I functioning on my own or am I dependent on Him? This all has taken me back to Kanakuk in 2 ways. One-in finding the teachable moments in our daily life all around us and two-Lord help me begin the day by emptying me of myself, submitting to you, and you using me for Your purpose. I love that God has revealed Himself to us in all that is around us in daily life in order to draw us closer to Him. Thanks also to Ashley, Meredith, and J for inspiring and encouraging me to run!! John 3:30 "He must become greater, I must become less."

No comments: