Thursday, August 14, 2008

Whatever You Do


I love the Olympics. I love watching the talent of such incredible, world-class athletes. I love watching such fierce competition. And, of course, I love the heart wrenching and tear inducing stories. I especially love hearing our National Anthem being played when a US athlete wins gold. I am proud of our athletes and our country.
One thing that keeps running through my mind this week is this: is there any area of my life that I am committed to like these athletes are to their sport. Maybe my role as a wife and mom? I would like to say I am that committed to my faith, but I don't think I can.

Colossians 3 keeps running through my mind, specifically verses 23-24 "Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for men, since you know that you will receive an inheritance from the Lord as a reward. It is the Lord Christ you are serving."

I may be cleaning, treating a patient, changing a diaper, cooking dinner, talking with a friend, but I hope I am doing so with the strength that God provides and giving my full effort, since He is ultimately the one that I am serving. May I have that level of commitment for the big and the small moments in life, because even though a gold medal is phenomenal, there is another prize that is more important to me.

1 Corinthians 9:24-27
Do you not know that in a race all the runners run, but only one gets the prize? Run in such a way as to get the prize. Everyone who competes in the games goes into strict training. They do it to get a crown that will not last; but we do it to get a crown that will last forever. Therefore I do not run like a man running aimlessly; I do not fight like a man beating the air. No, I beat my body and make it my slave so that after I have preached to others, I myself will not be disqualified for the prize.

No comments: