Saturday, May 17, 2008

Why Bother?

J and I bit the bullet this year and joined a pool/tennis club in town. We thought Av was at the age she would enjoy the pool and being with friends. Yesterday was the first day the pool was open and we decided to go and get out of the house on such a beautiful day. This is how the 'great idea' followed. I asked Av if she wanted to go to the pool. I expected to get an excited "yes" in return. Instead I got a very firm "No!" Great. Well, I decided we weren't going to sit inside all day and she would enjoy the pool once we were there. She fought to get into her swimsuit, but she was calm when while I applied her sunscreen.

We finally arrived at the pool and I was relieved to see a crowd for opening day, including friends. I set our bag in a chair and sat down to take off our cover-ups. Av informed me that she didn't want either of us to take off our cover-ups and that she wanted us to lay down with her blanket. I proceeded to to take off my cover-up and carry Av to the baby pool-thinking that it was shallow and warmer and maybe I would have success there. I sat on the edge of the pool with Av on my lap. After a while I took off her cover-up and attempted to get into the water with her. That resulted in me having the only child at the pool who was kicking and screaming to get out of the pool-I was that mom. We went back to Av sitting in my lap and splashing her feet in the pool. We spent the rest of the time running around in the playground area, which, thankfully, Av enjoyed.

By the time we made it back home it was already naptime, so we ate a quick lunch. I always take Av to the potty before nap/bedtime and she likes this policy since it prolongs going to bed. Normally she says "Mommy, shut the door" which means she wants me to step out so she can have her privacy. After a few minutes I thought that certainly she was finished, then I heard banging around. This is what I found upon opening the door.
Av had opened a jar of lotion and spread it on the counters, knobs, doors, herself, and the floor. To her credit, she did offer to help me clean it, but in the process unraveled almost an entire role of toilet paper. Looking back, you would think I should have learned my lesson after this day.Today the most exciting thing we did was go to Target and get a bed rail. We spent the afternoon napping and relaxing. We had to rest up for swim lessons that start tomorrow. Hopefully, they will be more successful than yesterday's outing. Yikes, I'm quite nervous.

No comments: