Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Sleep Tight


My little girl is growing up and I know that's exactly what should be happening. She is created to grow, learn, and change. We are to "train a child in the way she should go" Prov 22:6. I have told myself all of this....but it's still making my heart ache! It started a couple nights ago when she asked if she could have a pillow in her crib. I thought, no big deal, she won't even use it most of the night. She'll probably wake up with her head at the other end of the crib and her feet on the pillow. Wrong!!! She stayed on the pillow in the same position all night! Very unlike my girl that is normally in a different position every time I check on her when she's sleeping. That was the first step. Step 2 occurred right before bedtime tonight. Av has her crib and a bed in her room. She sometimes likes to sit or read in the bed and tonight she asked to get on the bed. Normal...I thought. Right when she got in the bed she asked to get under the covers...ok..then turn the lights out...ok..then said "Mommy, shut the door" which is her code for saying that she wants to be in the room alone, so I should head out and shut the door behind me! What?!?! I stood outside the door and my heart leapt when about 10 seconds later she asked me to come back in the room. I went back in the room and she asked me to get under the covers and lie down on the pillow with her. We sang nighttime songs and said prayers. I love those quiet, special moments. Eventually, we got up to get ready for bed and she went to sleep in the crib without too much of a fight :). Yet another instance in this season of life where I'm reminded that I'm not in control. I always thought I would be the one to decide when it was time to go to a "big girl" bed and that it would be a fight, that she would want to stay in her crib. Clearly it's that I'm the one who's not ready for this change, and the countless others that have yet to occur. I sure do love my little girl, and I'm thankful that God loves her more. He has formed her to be someone that I don't completely know yet. He knows all her changes, when they will happen, and what they will be and knowing that comforts me. Trying to keep her where she is only holds her back from where God is taking her. Thank you, Lord, that she is really your's more than she is mine. I know... isn't this a little much for just going from the crib to the bed. Yes, I suppose it is, but the big picture truths help with the small moments in between.

Subject #2: Please pray. I should already be in bed for a 6:30 am meeting in the morning. I am talking with 2 places about job possibilities tomorrow.

No comments: