Friday, May 23, 2008

Survivor

Here's the cute suit I found at Old Navy.
Av and I both survived the "survival swimming lessons!" At one point I wasn't sure if the survival was referring to the kids surviving, or the moms surviving with their sanity. The lessons aren't really survival as in "throw the kids in the pool and see if they make it to the stairs." It's more survival in terms of we didn't start off playing games and blowing bubbles. The very first day the kids are going under water a few feet from the wall and given a gentle push to get them going. They're supposed to kick their legs, get to the wall, reach for the ledge, and pull up out of the water.

Today was the last and also the best day. Av was excited to get in the water right away. It is amazing how much she accomplished in 5 days. Today I could stand ~8 feet from the wall/stairs, give Av a push, she would kick her way there, and pull up out of the water. She also kicked all the way across the pool to the edge of the deep end on her own. She was in her circular floatie, but before today she would only kick in it if she was holding onto me. Today she propelled herself and said "Mommy, don't help!" She would also jump off the edge of the pool, go under water, and swim to me. Av even jumped off the diving board to her teacher, Mrs. Michelle. Then Michelle gave her push, Av swam to the ladder and climbed out of the pool!!! I'm so proud of her.
At times it was exhausting for both of us, but it is so worth it. Before this week Av only wanted to be in the pool if I was holding her. Now she is so much more comfortable and confident in the water---and she likes it! Much more important than being fun, it is also a vital skill for her to learn. I hope now that if she were to fall in a pool, she would be able to get herself to the wall and pull up out of the water. I highly recommend it!! I can't wait to spend lots of time in the water this summer
Av and Page enjoying lollipops as their reward!

1 comment:

Darby said...

Woooo hooo! Go Avery! She did awesome and has made huge progress... especially with those legs & feet kicking! I love the picture of her & Raiger! If you have any more can you email them to me!? We had a blast with y'all this week! Y'all will have to come practice next week at our house! :) Oh wait, maybe the week after!