Thursday, July 31, 2008

Toddler Words

Since she's 2, I never know what is going to come out of Av's mouth. This week we've experienced comments that ranged from entertaining to embarrassing. My mom always says that whatever embarrassment I experience from Av is justice for the craziness that came out of my mouth when I was a child. I'll give the entertaining moments first

Av loves the zoo and she really loves getting to ride the camel, Big Joe, there. A couple months ago my parents took her to the zoo and my mom rode the camel with her, which is pretty impressive (or concerning to me) since after she had cancer she had to have her hip replaced. So that's the back story. This week we were reading an animal book and when we came to the camel page this conversation occurred.
Av: "It's Big Joe! I rode Big Joe with Beba" (my mom)
J: "You did?!?" (Apparently J didn't know mom rode it with Av)
Me: "Yeah, Beba's cool like that."
Av: "Yeah Papa, Beba's cold chillin'"
It was hilarious. How has my 2 year old learned slang?

The embarrassing moment happened in Wal-Mart of all places. So Av's in the cart and to add insult to injury, we're in the feminine products section. Then a lady with hair down to her thighs walked by us. Right as Av noticed she exclaimed "Momma, does she have BIG HAIR?!?" Why couldn't she say it in a nice, quiet voice? Of course, the only really loud part was the "big hair." I tried to make up for it by saying yes, she has long, pretty hair. By the look I got from the lady, I don't think she appreciated any of it. I always knew the day would come when Av would blurt something out before I could stop her. I also suspected that my moment of embarrassment would probably happen in the grocery store, since that's where I normally embarrassed my mom. At least yesterday wasn't too bad, I know it could have been much worse. I think my mom has even had moments where she told people I wasn't her child and that she babysitting for a friend.
What have your kids said to embarrass or entertain you?

No comments: