Wednesday, July 30, 2008

A,B,C's

Do those of you with young children watch Sesame Street? We don't really watch much TV and we try to limit what Av watches as well. She occasionally watches The Wiggles, Veggie Tales, or one of her favorite movies like Mary Poppins or The Sound of Music. A friend of mine mentioned how much her daughter loves Sesame Street, so I thought we would try it out, and Av LOVES it! Since I'm a nerd at heart, I love that it's educational. Av can sing her A,B,C's and we recently started working on her being able to recognize individual letters. The show and it's "letter of the day" has been such a help with learning letters. She now knows about 13 letters, so we're halfway there. Very exciting to me. It's amazing to me how quickly young children learn. It really makes me wish I still learned that fast.

We have found a few resources that have really helped with learning A,B,C's. One is a leapfrog fridge phonics. We normally go over 1-3 letters a day, but with animal cracker as a reward, Av learned 5 letters in one day!

We also have wipeable (is that a word?) alphabet placemats. It's another great way to work in the letter/letters of the day. Av now loves her placemat and wants them to be nice and clean to have them at meals.

I was going to add more, but I'm having trouble with the computer. This seems to be a reoccurring theme lately. So happy learning, and please share your ideas. I'm not very creative, so I know you all have great ideas on how to get those little minds working!

1 comment:

mrchrishill said...

I've seen our friends the Millers have the Fridge Letters and it's on our short list of things to get our little one.

Great post... these are the things parents need to do more... share the ideas that have had good levels of success with their own kids.

Thanks!