Thursday, September 4, 2008

Allie

She was J's first blonde and his first love. J says it was love at first sight when they met 12 years ago. She is his best friend. She is our beloved labrador retriever.
Today our vet told us she has metastatic cancer and, at best, she may be with us for 3-6 more months. I can't even write this without crying right now. I know that everyone loves their dog, but honestly, Allie is the best dog I have ever seen. I feel I can say that {somewhat} unbiased since I can't take any credit for how fantastic she is-J had her for 5 years before I came into the picture. One of J's family's friends actually offered J over $5K (yes, that's thousands) for Allie. J kept Allie and knew he had the better end of the deal.
Allie has been with J through highs and lows. She has given birth to champion puppies (best in show in California). She helped raise and train the other 7 dogs in our home and our families' homes. She is fiercely loyal and protective. At the end of my pregnancy with Av, when we had finished the nursery, Allie starting sleeping at the threshold of the nursery, as if to guard it. On another instance she and J were camping at the family farm. They were walking through the woods and spooked a coyote that charged J. Allie immediately defended J and attacked and killed the coyote.
Even though she is fierce, she matches it with her gentleness. She has allowed countless children to climb on her, ride her, pull her tail, and look in her ears. We even have a picture of our nephew, when he was a toddler, pulling her eyelid open to look into her eyes. Allie just continued to calmly rest on the floor while Samuel inspected her.
She has survived pancreatitis, attacks from other dogs, a coyote fight, a very traumatic birthing experience (she only had 6 puppies, but they were so large the vet had predicted she would have 12), and many other experiences I could continue to ramble on about, but now it is coming to an end.
She is more than just a dog to us. She is our friend and companion. She is Av's playmate. She is probably the best dog we will ever be blessed to be around.

If you have a pet in your home, give it a hug and some special attention today. Sorry to be so somber, but this is the outpouring of my heart today.

5 comments:

Wanting What I Have said...

Linds,
My heart aches for you. Dogs have a way of stealing away a piece of our hearts and I know yours is breaking right now. She is an amazing dog! I'll never forget watching MW, as a baby, crawl all over Alllie and pat her face. I worried and you assured me that Allie was perfectly at ease with that kind of attention. And she was. She is a blessing. Hang in there sweet friend. I love you!

Darby said...

Lindsey... I'm so very sad. I know about loving dogs... they're precious, precious, precious gifts from God. And I'm so sad about Allie's diagnoses. I've had lots of really good dogs but I'd have to agree that sweet Allie takes the cake in the best dog award. What a perfect little angel you have and I know there's no way on earth she can ever be replaced. Love on her a little tighter and let her live it up these next few months. And remind her that she came out on top with her fight with Jackson... reminder her that his cruel intentions ended up putting him in his place once and for all! Take lots of pictures of your sweet girl.. she's a beauty. And let me know if I can do anything for you!

Anonymous said...

Hi- I'm a blog stalker and have been reading your blog for awhile now. I couldn't help but to be in tears @ the end of this blog. Our family has two labs and I realize how wonderful they are! They fit right into the family and are so special! One thing that I have done for dogs that have passed is I have found an ornament that resembles them and I put it on our Christmas tree every year! It's a bittersweet time when decorating the tree but it is very important to me to remember them. My heart goes out to Allie and your family. Spend lots of time with her!!!!

Confessions said...

Oh, Lindsey! I'm so sorry about your sweet pup. I can't bear to think about the day that we get news like that about either of our labs. My heart hurts with you and for you! Hang in there.

Beck said...

Linds,

I'm crying for you guys right now with my little corgi at my feet. So grateful that I got to meet Allie since you guys had her in the Ham for Dow's wedding.

Praying that God supernaturally lengthens your time with her. And surely there is a place in eternity for Allie, the gold-hearted dog.