Friday, June 4, 2010

Little Man Needs PRAYERS!

I'm sitting here trying to think where I should begin. I was planning on posting about our recent trip to Arizona, or a late Mother's day post, or how we had an early 1 year birthday party for this little man with some family that will be out of town on his birthday. Instead, I am desperately asking for your prayers and that you would ask others to pray for him.

Poor little guy has had some bad diapers {what we call cha cha around here} this week. A friend was watching him and he had terrible blow out mess in the crib while he was sleeping. She went to put him in the bath, tested the water twice before putting him in, and set him in the tub, but didn't plug the drain. In just a matter of seconds she put the diaper in the trash and grabbed a towel off the rack. When she turned back to him the hot water had come through the pipes at that point and was hot enough to burn him.

We immediately got him to the ER and were treated in the burn unit and told it looked like a second degree burn and would probably take 10-14 days to heal, but may get worse over the next few days. We took him back today and in fact, it was worse. Now they think it could actually be a third degree burn. We initially thought it would mean 2 miserable weeks of our poor baby in pain as we would have to do multiple dressing changes a day since he is in diapers, but today were informed he could need skin grafting. We were utterly devastated by that. Our doctor said we will have to wait until Monday to know what the likely outcome will be. It could heal on it's own within 10-14 days with little to no scarring or it could be to the point that skin grafting is indicated.

Please pray that God will work mightily and heal him without scarring or the need for surgery. I know my God is bigger and more powerful than I can even imagine and we have already seen His hand in this tragedy. We are thankful that the drain wasn't shut and the burn is only on the right buttock. It could have easily been all over his bottom, legs, hands, feet, or anywhere if he had tried to crawl away from the water. We are also thankful that the diarrhea is much better, reducing the risk for infection and how often we have to change the dressing. Also, amazingly enough, the only time he really seems uncomfortable, or is fussy, is when we change the dressing. He is on pain medication, which makes him sleepy, and he is sleeping most the day and night. This helps his pain level, but also helps that he isn't moving the area and pulling on the dressing.

We do have specific prayer requests
1. As above, for healing. That God would quickly heal him in a way that would clearly show His power. That it would heal on it's own without scar, surgery, or infection.

2. That the diarrhea would resolve. Again, as above, it would reduce infection risk, help with dressing changes, and make him more comfortable.

3. Wisdom for our doctors and nurses. Much of burn treatment is decided by opinion as to what the best healing methods are and what treatment is indicated. Pray God would give them clear wisdom to know the best treatment for him.

4. Pray for J and me. We are experiencing so much guilt right of now of "what if we had done....." I think hindsight we both feel ways the situation could have ended differently and we are torturing ourselves with those thoughts. It has also been a long week in general-we had to have our chimney repaired, our garage flooded on Monday, and before we went to the hospital for our follow up appointment today we had a plumber here to repair ALL the toilets in our house. Of course, all these are minuscule in the big picture, but are certainly not helping my sanity right now.

Thank you so much for your prayers. We are so thankful for the friends and family that have come around us and supported us at a time when I feel I am on on the verge of physical and emotional collapse at any moment. Meals, words of encouragement, prayer, and the many other ways you have served us have meant more to us than I can express in words.

Most of all, I am thankful for a God that heals, that is all mighty, wise, and powerful, and that only He is able to do more than I could ever ask or imagine. I am thankful that He understands the heartache of watching His son in pain. As we are told all throughout the gospels, He is powerful to heal with just a touch of his cloak or one word from his mouth. Please, please pray, ask others to pray, and if you have blog (and wouldn't mind) ask for prayer there as well. Thank you, thank you, thank you.

Hebrews 4:14-16 For we do not have a high priest who is unable to sympathize with our weaknesses, but we have one who has been tempted in every way, just as we are—yet was without sin. Let us then approach the throne of grace with confidence, so that we may receive mercy and find grace to help us in our time of need.

Jeremiah 17:14 Heal me, O LORD, and I will be healed; save me and I will be saved, for you are the one I praise.

Psalm 34:17-18 The righteous cry out, and the LORD hears them; he delivers them from all their troubles. The LORD is close to the brokenhearted 
and saves those who are crushed in spirit.

6 comments:

Wanting What I Have said...

Hey...praying for you guys and sweet Grant. I sent out an email on your behalf. Love you so much. Wish I was there to hug you. Hang in there.

Darby said...

Lindsey, My heart is so sad for y'all and sweet Grant. Please know that I am praying and I will ask for prayers for Grant on blog and FB. You must not guilt yourself over this and I will pray that you will find peace & confidence in Christ. And that you will know sweet Grant will have no recollection of this in his future. I'm sorry that I just called you at 6:30 am on a Saturday... look forward to talking to you soon! Many prayers and hugs and I wish that I was there to help in some way.

Christi said...

found you from darby's post. my prayers are with you. my little brother got third degree burns on his face, hands, neck and arms when he was a toddler - my parents oven had malfunctioned and the glass door was about 350 degrees. he was learning to walk and rested his hands, then face, then arms on it in a fit to get away. i say this only because he's a happy, handsome, healthy and scare-free 27 year old now. i remember vividly the daily hospital trips, dressing changes and ointments. my prayers are with you in this time.

Anonymous said...

You sure you know your nanny well? Not trying to upset you, but you think you know someone and then something happens and it's very unexpected and shocking. If it were my baby, I'd invest in some nanny cams and keep a close eye out, even if you swear it was completely an accident.
Your little guy will be just fine because God is in control and loves him dearly. I'm praying for you all and fast healing for his little bottom!

The Youngbloods said...

Praying for you and little Grant! Hang in there Lindsey! I know your love and trust in the Lord will get you through this.

jill said...

Lindsey-Uugg...I hate that that happened, and am so thankful, like you said, that it wasn't worse. God is so good. I will definitely be praying for Little Man, you, and everyone else. Ps 17:6-7 "I call on you, O God, for you will answer me; give ear to me and hear my prayer. Show me the wonder of your great love."