Thursday, February 19, 2009

Imagination

OK, so one of my friends actually called me after my last post, somewhat concerned for me. I wasn't trying to be a downer, but just sharing what I had been reflecting on over the week Now onto to today's post.

Can I tell ya'll how much fun Av is right now? I find her completely hilarious and the stuff that comes out of her mouth is priceless. I know that if I don't document it here, I will soon forget it, so here goes.

A few months ago we were getting ready for bed and Av informed me that we had to take the baby squirrels to bed with us. I had no idea what she was talking about as I watched her walk over to empty couch, bend over, and scoop her hands together as if picking up, well, a group of baby squirrels off the couch. That's right folks, my child's first imaginary friends are a group of infant rodents. Then she "carried" them upstairs, "tucked" them into her bed, and then climbed into the bed herself. Over the next month we continued to put the "squirrels" to bed, bathe them, read to them, etc. I even accidentally sat on them one day, but Av immediately let me know and I quickly jumped up to move to another seat. Well, we haven't heard much about the squirrels for the last month...until a couple days ago. I lifted up Av's bed skirt looking for a shoe I couldn't find. I didn't find the shoe, but I did find her pink lamb stuffed animal, Esmerelda (don't ask me how a 2 year old names her lamb Esmerelda). I let her know that Esmerelda was under the bed--her response?--"Yes, she's there with the baby squirrels." It was a very "duh, Mom" statement from her. I guess they're all hibernating for the Winter with Esmerelda guarding over them. Silly me for not knowing where they have been for the last month.